Monday, August 17, 2009

Outdoor Life Magazine Illustrations

I created these 3 illustrations for the current issue of Outdoor Life Magazine. The art director was James Walsh.
(click on images for a larger view)

Full page...


2 page spread...


Quarter page spot...



They were created as vector illustrations, below you can see some of my process.

Here are 2 of the pencils...



And some of the thumbnails ideas...




And some of the embarrassing reference shots-- I seem to always find a way to use a hockey stick and a cowboy hat in whatever illustration I do lately.


8 comments:

Jeffrey Alan Love said...

Awesome. Some of those thumbnails remind me of Robert Fawcett crime illustrations.

Sam said...

love the use of space charlie, as well as the reserved color palette. good to see what your up to

Daniel Hertzberg said...

BADASS, totally totally badass! These are really fantastic... a pretty stunning series of images.

Cedricstudio said...

Wow! Inspiring stuff as always.

dadu shin said...

awesssssommme charlie!!

Annika said...

great work charlie, dramatic stuff!

Duncan Robertson said...

This is all really solid man. I find myself popping back from time to time to look at that flashlight. So Awesome!Hope all is well up north! Miss you man!

sandy said...

good job charlie. Keep it up!!